Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

[Q=lfrappia] are you sitting down? i bought my points 6 months ago because, as is a theme repeatedly throughout this website, i was not told the true facts. i have tried everything in my power to get rid of them. i do NOT want to pay $1300 per year for life and every year have to realize what a stupid idiot i was or i would use points for some condo and rent it on redbook just to get my fees bank. still out $22,000. WAIT here is the good part. i found someone willing to buy my points for 1/2 what i paid for them 6 months ago and with 5000 points banked that i paid fees on and did not use. everything was going along swimmingly UNTIL MARRIOTT TOLD HIM IF HE BOUGHT MY POINTS HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY THEM $2500 TO CHANGE THE NAME TO HIS!!!!!! THEY ARE BLOCKING MY SALE SO THEY CAN SELL HIM NEW ONES!! there is no reason to charge this high fee just to change the name on the deed. and the KICKER? now the buyer has backed out even though i also AGRRED TO PAY THE $2500 FEE FOR HIM!! he doesn't want to own where they treat people like this. what if he needed to sell in the future? so not only did they cost me the sale where i would ONLY lose $13,500, he's not going to buy their new ones either. what did they gain except to hurt me?[/Q] You need to dig into your reams of paper that you got when you bought your points, and see if the transfer fee is not listed. My times shares are all in the same system, but each resort where I have a week, there is a specific number of points for the week, based on season and unit - as well as a specific fee to transfer ownership to the buyer. These range from as low as $75 to as high as $225. The fee is independent of the price paid or unit size - it is flat rate for any transfer of ownership. Find out if there is a published fee for the transfer in your system. If it is not the $2500 that they quoted to your buyer - you should be able to file suit against them for fraud. Maybe even get then to give you the original price - to get out of a law suit that they could lose. Good luck - I am just glad that the system I am in is not as bad as this message group is saying your system is.