Report Abuse

Re: Buying a timeshare at Vacation Village at Parkway

[Q=stevem532] [/Q] What are some recommended ways in which to buy into timeshares so I can avoid this bad experience next time? Are certain resorts better than others as far as getting the best bang for the buck? I heard most resorts in the Orlando area are a safe bet.[/Q] If you really liked the resort that you stayed at, Vacation Village, you could buy a time share that is deeded at The Cove over on Ormond Beach, which is in the Club Navigo points system. VV@P is in this same system, run by Island One Resorts as Club Navigo. You get both an internal exchange system, and an external exchange system, which is Interval International. A 2Br at VV@P costs 2700, 3600 or 4500 Navigo Points depending on the season/week you select. I recently purchased a 2Br at The Cove in the South Tower, which cost me less than $3000 total, and comes with 6000 points each year. You could easily stay 2 weeks in a low season week, instead of just one week, and up to 5 weeks every two years in low season weeks. You also have the option of buying extra points if you are short points for your stay, So if you wanted to stay both a low season and mid season weeks, and are short 300 points, you can simply buy them, at around .25 -.30 each; or less than 100 for the added points. A low season week at The Cove in the North Tower is only 2000 points in low season weeks for a 2Br, ocean front, and 800 points for a studio that sleeps 4 in low season. This all gives you a lot of versatility to stay at different resorts or different weeks. The key is getting the best unit as your anchor, and then if you, like I, enjoy traveling in the lowers seasons to avoid the crowds, you get more for your money. The ability to bank a week into Interval International's exchange system also allow you to travel the world, and enjoy other locations throughout the US and the World. You make a reservation through the points system, but have the reservations deposited into your II account. You then log onto the II web site, and it shows you what resorts around the world you can exchange into. In some cases, you might get two weeks at a resort, in exchange for your single week. Contact me directly if you would like to get more detailed advise. I have purchased 8 time shares, two from developers, and the rest in the secondary market. There is no difference in the benefits between the two types of purchases, and the secondary market is pennies on the dollar compared to the developer. The only reason to buy from a developer, is if you want to get an event week, such as those over in Daytona Beach / Ormond Beach. These are almost always grabbed back by the developer if a person wants to sell, as they almost always have a Right of First Refusal clause in the deed. The event weeks are nearly always booked full, as they are associated with big events like the Daytona 500 race and the like. Click on my icon next to the message if you want to contact me directly, instead of trading messages on the board.[/Q] Thank you for your detailed response!