Report Abuse

Re: Am Considering in joining RCI (points system)

Every time you book a timeshare if it is a week, a few days or a night or two they charge you a booking fee which has been mentioned. If you book a couple of differant places back to back you would pay a fee for each booking. If you book say two units at the same place because they only have one bedrooms, then you would pay for each booking. Also find out if the points you are purchasing are from a weeks resort or a points resorts, some resorts with points when put into RCI become weeks and are asigned a point amount, but need to be used as a week, where points can be used for as many or few nights that your points will cover. This avoids the combining fees you get with weeks. On top of that if you say do not use your week or points in the time frame of I think it is 2years and you can carry it over, but also will pay to do that. On top you do pay a yearly fee to be a member. Each resort has a point value, so red week in Orlando may not be the same points in another location. So if you know the areas you really want to be in, ask what type of points are needed. Mexico is red all year, but is lower points than most places. If you are weeks timeshare, that is a whole differant ballgame. You pay for each week you own to book, you can combine your weeks, but pay a combining fee of @119, plus a booking fee for each week. Your weeks are given a point value that reflects your trading power. Like my weeks are 16 points, red use weeks. They give me a decent trading power, it depends when you deposit them too. The best thing to do is call RCI and they can tell you alot of this. . It depends on how much you want to travel, and you mentioned you need to travel in red week. Also air fare is at its peak. The all inclusive resorts with RCI I am pretty sure it does not include air fare.The hardest spots to get are in red time slots. unless you book a year or more out. You have to ask rci to put a ongoing search if the timeshare is not available when you inquire and you get first dips if the timeshare resort members put a week into RCI. RCI will notify if something comes up for the week or time you want. The biggest problem I have had is yes the RCI inventory list all these timeshares, but if no one from the resort you want puts in their week or points into RCI to exchange for somewhere else, you can not get into that resort. The rci reps are very helpful to give information, but ask lots of questions. I live in Canada and have for a few years now have tried to get into places on the Oregan coast, Washington State. Was told there are very few and most of the resorts members use them and do not put them in the RCI inventory. . The positive side to it is you do stay at some realy nice places, meet some great people who are timeshare owners too and can share places they have been. You can bring extra people as long as the unit cap is as listed and not pay extra. Quite often have a kitchen., etc. Most resorts or hotels charge per couple per room. It comes down to how often you travel and how many of you. How flexable to exchange with what is avail and not be set on one particular spot. The best way is to figure how much your paying for your points, how much to use them each year, how often do you vaction. Also depends how many years ahead you are going to be able to use them. You do not save alot if you take into all the cost to own, and use the points. The maintence fees etc. RCI is like a travel agent in some respects. You pay for process fees when you book with a travel agent in th price. It is just hidden. I hope this has helped. I have both points timeshare and weeks timeshare. The points is much more flexable and cheaper to use.