Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst

[Q=steveh625] I agree with you. Better to use it, trade it or rent it than give it up for the measly points. I hope MVC dont force us to convert to a points system. I have declined all of the Convert to a Points System so far.[/Q] With floating/ legacy weeks, Marriott can't force you to do anything. All Marriott properties developed under the legacy program have covenants and restrictions recorded at the courthouse that are put into place prior to any development and sales. These covenants specify how the project will work and its operations. Only the homeowners (association) can amend these documents after the development has been turned over to the homeowners. It usually requires a fairly significant number of homeowners (75%) to approve any change. Look at it this way, the homeowners own the timeshare property - Marriott works for the homeowner association through a management agreement with the homeowners association. Marriott is not too forth coming with letting owners know how this relationship works - so owners have this idea that Marriott can force them to do whatever they see fit. But this is simply not so. It's actually the other way around - the homeowner association actually has the ability to dictate what exactly Marriott is supposed to do. With points however - this is a different story as Marriott (and other developers) does not turn over the developed property to the homeowner association. They are in complete control of the Destination Point program and those point based properties they develop. They do have much more broad-based control to do in essence whatever they see fit. You are definitely at their mercy. Many owners simply do not realize that their homeowner associations have much more control and power than they actually exert at times. This is one of the reasons that Marriott has gone to destination points - purely for control. Sure they package it to their owners and new buyers as more flexibility and a better way to vacation - but as some one that has been on the other side - it is for control.