Report Abuse

Re: Interval international non-rental claus

[Q=jayjay] Because you signed on with the exchange company including their Rules and Regulations .... if you don't want to follow II and RCI's rules and regulations then don't do business with them .... simple as that. I don't condone their renting of deposits but when you deposit a week then it's theirs to do with as they wish according to their regulations.[/Q] It is as simple as that. These guys that get busted usually aren't the ones who do it once because of illness or something else. Those people get educated, maybe they lose that one exchange, and are sent on their way. It is the guys doing high volumes ([potentially] 12 getaways a month in the above case + exchanges) that have memberships suspended or cancelled and then receive life time banishment. There are several sellers on Ebay that are commented about regularly on TUG that are (to be nice) very likely exchanges. They often have hundreds of "rentals" before they are shut down. I will say I have "gifted" a week to a friend because of something that interrupted my family plans, but I certainly do not make a business out of it. If I want to rent out units I can do so all I want with my Starwood units. I know several people who do it, cover their annual MFs, and use the extra weeks themselves, essentially for free. Listing a guest on a reservation is fully permitted under Starwood rules and there is no restriction as to the arrangement. There is that restriction with II and RCI. If you do not play by the rules.... [I would HIGHLY suspect that the prior poster knows exchanges are limited to 12/yr/unit for a reason too!]