Report Abuse

Re: Diamond Resorts raises maintenance fees again!

[Q=davidk689] Charles minimizes the problem. MF's at Los Abrigados went up by a lot more than 1% for deeded owners. Since DRI took over they've gone through the roof. We pay more in MF's for a one-week TS than it would cost to stay at a hotel where you would get a free breakfast and your sheets changed every night. Lori is a bit naive about the issue of a class action lawsuit. This was done against ILX over the issue of non-availability. Owners ended up getting something like $30 or $40 in "credit" that you had to spend there within a specific period of time. The lawyers for both sides got hundreds of thousands. If we wanted to take on DRI first we would have to find out who the deeded owners are and their contact info. Then for every one without an email address we would have to mail out some sort of info sheet. To follow up there would have to be a lot of phone calling. Who is going to bear the cost or time of doing this? Just face it. We are all screwed. Your friendly Republican legislators have fixed the laws in the states where DRI does business to make consumer redress against the kind of larceny the Timeshare INdustry perpetrates all but impossible.[/Q] I was not trying to minimize the issue, but only relaying what I knew as fact. Maintenance fees are outrageous no matter how you look at it. At some point people will stop timesharing if the maanagement companies continue to raise these fees and it's just not cost effective anymore and foreclosures will increase even more than they have to this point. I don't know what DRI gave as an explanation for the increase in fees at Los Abrigados, but I stayed there last summer and loved the size of the units and the property. However, it needs a lot of work to come up to standard. I believe DRI will put some real work in there because they are asking for a lot of points from owners and the place has HUGE potential. ILX obviously was not maintaining the property as they should.