Report Abuse

Re: Diamond Resorts International (DRI) "THE CLUB" Points Program & Converting your Week to Points

[Q=rlb93311] I am currently DRI deeded and with points at Poipu and KBC. We have been pretty happy with DRI properties, maint fees have been increasing and the assessment in poipu not fun. I recently purchased more pts to get to silver level where i have some upgrade options and also converted to USCollection trust. I saw the benefit of us collection as lower per pt maint fees. I can still cancel that but will pay more in maint fees all pts not in US Collection. I dont use the home advantage since converting to pts. Are there any other drawbacks to losing deed and converting to trust? What am i missing? I jope it wont be more difficult to use my hawaii properties once i convert. They say it doesnt matter but i am skeptical.[/Q] It depends on what you have and want to do. If you own a 2 bedroom oceanview unit and you have access to it all year around, even during the Christmas and New Year's Holiday with your deed, then if DRI is not giving you 16,000 points, I would say it's not a good deal. 16,000 points would give you access to a two bedroom oceanview during the peak times of year including Thanksgiving and July 4th week. If you already have access to that then in my opinion I would not settle for less than that. Now if you never travel during those times and it's not a big deal to you, then that's different. However, some people have been able to negotiate by keeping their deed as is and joining the Club as well. If you are a Hawaii Collection owner and have now bought US Collection that means you will now pay an extra $200 or so dollars for belonging to two collections. If the home advantage is not an issue for you then I would just keep all the points in Hawaii and save the extra money. Personally, I think if you just want to use the DRI properties, I would buy resale points in the US Collection. Many folks are giving those points away. Of course, know that if you buy resale points you are limited to that collection only and you cannot use them for Interval International. If you really feel you want silver status, you can buy resale for nothing and buy half the points from DRI and just pay a whole lot less. For example, let's say you need 10,000 points to go silver. Buy 5,000 resale points for next to nothing or free. Then you can get DRI to allow you to bring those points into the Club but you would have to pay DRI for 5000 points. You would save half of what you're putting out now. I would rescind the offer now and renenogtiate with them. Just my thoughts. I would suggest you come to our DRi owners website on Facebook and we as owners will assist you to get a much better deal than you're looking at now. Who wants to pay more than necessary.