Report Abuse

Re: Diamond Resorts International (DRI) "THE CLUB" Points Program & Converting your Week to Points

Hello..thanks for such a great site. After reading all of this, I think I might have just got screwed over by DRI. I think/hope I have a few days to kill the deal, although they never said anything about that. Ok, here is the deal I made with the devil…I have a 2 bedroom timeshare at Welk Resort in San Diego that they said they would give me $15000 for as a trade in for DRI membership/points. They would pay all closing costs, etc, charge me an additional 17k and give me 4000 points under this confusing to understand "trust" structure. Also, the would “throw in” the obligatory free vaca, a $100 gift Visa, and 3000 bonus points for the first year. Seeing the advantages of the points system, wanting so terribly to get out of my old school 1/50th ownership structure, and being a total idiot, I agreed. So, basically I gave up a timeshare (paid for in full), paid 17k, and got 4000 points. After reading all of this I can see it is a bad deal. The red flag should have been that when I went to sign docs they said they could only write down $5000 for the trade so that I would not have to pay taxes. It sounded a bit sketchy, but I was brainwashed by their friendliness and charm...ugg. Also, being frustrated by not being able to book things I wanted through II, I specifically asked the salesperson if she had stats on what % of the time you can actually book the property you want. She said "Everytime, unless it is a major holiday". Now after reading these threads I can see that this is not true. Can anyone guide me into what I should do? Can I still get out of it? Did I get pummeled? Thanks so much, Randy 619-884-7827