Report Abuse

Festiva buying Escapes

I own 4 Escapes timeshares. I received 2 letters from Escapes, the first dated April 5, 2012 and the second dated July 9, 2012. Both were signed by John A. Cooper, III, discussing selling the resorts at Panama City Beach, FL., and Galveston, TX., and the effect it would have on the Escapes Travel Club (ETC), and a shallow promise of more exciting developments to come. I later received a letter from Festiva Hospitality Group stating they had taken over the Escape resorts at Bella Vista, AR, Hot Springs, AR, Branson Yacht Club, MO, and The Shores in Orange Beach, AL. That still left several resorts unmentioned, Stonebridge, MO, Cherokee Village, AR, and a second Orange Beach, AL, resort. I tried unsuccessfully for months to get information from Escapes Member Services about what was going on, but was stonewalled repeatedly. I did attend a membership update by Festiva and gave serious consideration to buying into their travel club and relinquishing my Escapes deeds to them, but in the end decided it was not a good investment for me. The way Escapes dumped the owners of the timeshares was a great example of how not to do it. The lack of information was appalling. If they had given owners straight information, it would have eased the discomfort and allowed a much easier transition. Some of the Escape resorts are still tied up in legal battles and/or arbitration and are now being managed by Patton Hospitality Management, an off-shoot of Festiva. They answer the phone as Escapes, as before, but it is not the old Escapes. It is a disjointed operation, but I would have to commend Festiva for its efforts in making it easier than it could be, considering the disastrous way Cooper exited the timeshare market. Escapes had been a stand-up organization for many years prior. I did receive a packet from RTX, Festiva's exchange club, and it informed me that my ETC dues paid for not only RCI membership, but also RTX Premium membership. The RTX has very good last minute deal prices, and seems to be a another good travel option. [Q=garym559] I have a week with Escapes to Los Lagos at Hot Springs Village. I was contacted a week ago by Festiva informing me that they had bought the interests of the developer of some of the Escapes Resorts. They were offering to take my deeded week and sell me a Festiva points membership. It was tempting, but I'm thinking I'll stay with what I have. They claimed that the Escapes owners were informed of the change months ago, but this was the first I heard of it. Any other Escapes owners out there who were notified of this near the first of the year?[/Q]