Report Abuse

Re: want to buy a Marriott timeshare: advice needed

[Q=kevinl220] Here are several timeshare websites that have dozens upon dozens of resales for both of these locations: RedWeek obviously. MyResortNetwork.com. The Timeshare User Group (tug). Always do your research on who the seller is. Most are licensed realtors and you can check them out easily on the Better Business Bureau (BBB)..[/Q] I agree with everything above except checking with the BBB, which works only if you [the company] pay them to be rated unless there has been a complaint against them. RedWeek and tug are your best bet and very reputable. There are also scammers here; I was contacted by one here on RedWeek last week and reported them; so I would suggest NOT to use a Realtor (esp. if they are from Florida). I would suggest that you ask the seller to send you a copy of their Deed/Right to Own proving that they own the TS and verify it with the TS company and are in good standing (don't owe any fees). The Owner still needs to contact Corporate Marriott Sales Office and Owner Services to get the necessary paperwork and ask Marriott for a ROFR (Right of First Refusal - Marriott has the Right to Refuse to sell the TS before any transaction can be made - this is usually based on the price the TS is being sold for and/or if they still have inventory to sell through the developer); and there needs to be a TS Sales Contract with specific information that Marriott requires (the info. is sent to the Owner, who in turn will either put together a Contract or if they are lazy hire someone to do it). Since Marriott does all the paperwork, transfers names, etc. for less than $300 (if international - includes Caribbean), there is no need for a Realtor to save money. They keep you informed and everything is done electronically. As long as all the paperwork is in order that they require and sent in AT THE SAME TIME, things go smoothly. My sale of my TS at the Surf only took 3 weeks through Marriott and I sold here on RedWeek. Everyone was happy throughout the process and in the end.