Report Abuse

Re: Yep...the El Cid deal was a bit of a scam.

I have been reading all these negative comments regarding EL CID Resorts. I find this somewhat odd since I've owned a timeshare at this resort since the early 80's. My first purchase was at Granada since the El Moro tower was not yet built. Over the years my fixed weeks were converted to their points system to where I now own slightly over 2,000,000 pts. Each winter I spend anywhere between 2-5 months at the resort in Mazatlan. With my membership I receive wrist bands that cover all my food and drinks while I'm at the resort. In addition it covers my green fees at the golf course. In the fall I charter the EL CID boats to go deep sea fishing. My membership entitles me to a 70% discount on the boat rentals. On more than one occasion I watched them fill the boat with fuel prior to us leaving the dock then refuelling the boat upon our return. The boat burns between $290.00 - $310.00 worth of fuel (Aries IX 36 ft twin diesel). The boat rents for $750.00/ day, with the discount of 70% it's $225.00. You will note that my cost is less than the cost of the fuel burnt. While staying at the resort I play golf 2-3 times each week, my green fees are covered with my membership. All my drinks while at the pool are covered, all my meals are covered including wine with my meals. My fridge is always kept full of drinks and snacks. I've been experiencing this for many many years with very few complications. I'm not too sure what you people expect as a timeshare owner? What else do you expect these people to do? Furthermore, since I have been spending most of my winters there I've met many many owners who also spend most of their winters at the resort and they too have nothing but positive comments about how they are treated. Since I've never tried to exchange my points for other resorts through some exchange program, I really can't comment on that experience. I can honestly say if you become an owner at El Cid and you continue to stay at the various El Cid properties, you will be happy with the program. One more comment, once you become an Owner, you have access to a private website where you can monitor your points, mtce payments as well as the ability to make reservations online. For those of you not comfortable with the Internet there is a toll free number where you can call where people who answer the phone have an excellent grasp of the English language and you can make all your arrangements over the phone where your written confirmation will be emailed to you within 5 minutes. I spent 2 months in Mazatlan this fall deep sea fishing and came back home for Christmas. I'll be heading back to Mazatlan Jan 01 for 3 months.