Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

The problem with lawsuits that are brought up is that the owners do not always understand what they signed up for. When you signed all those paper you have a period of time to rescind. During that time you can have a lawyer review your documents or you can read the documents yourself. In discovery here is what the realities in my opinion will be. First, you signed up to have a week at a specific location. Second, you have the right to trade it for another location using Interval International or another exchange system. Three, you can rent out your unit. Anything else is gravy. The Marriott Rewards Points trades and anything else is a perk that Marriott can continue, suspend or discontinue at their discretion. It is unfortunate, but many people believe that they are ENTITLED to these perks, but they aren't. I don't know where the $10,000 number comes from. I only have a week at Ko Olina that I bought when it first opened. I joined the points program, but it did not cost me anywhere near that. In fact, I think I paid around $700 and I remember for an incentive they gave me 800 Destination Club points which I used to add on some extra days to a Palm Desert vacation. I converted my unit to Destination points a few times and I have used it like I have in the past and traded to Interval International. The key is in the planning which has always been the case in trying to get reservations particularly during peak seasons. My thoughts from reading many posts is that some of us on this site need to become more informed. Even those of us who are somewhat informed have to keep up because things are constantly changing with our timeshares. I would strongly suggest that folks tune into Timeshares Users Group (tug2.net) that discusses timeshares in general with a great deal of information. They also have a Marriott forum that is useful for information from some very savvy Marriott owners.