Report Abuse

Refund policy?

[Q=cyndya7] I have a potential renter for my property, but they want to know about the cancellation policy. This is the first time I have ever not used my timeshare, but rented instead. Any insight or ideas about cancellation policy?[/Q] Cancellation / refund policy is entirely for YOU as the owner of the week to determine and a renter can either accept or reject it. Some people will offer a partial or full refund if the renter cancels 60 days or more before check-in, but NO refund if the renter cancels 30 or fewer days from check-in date (fair enough, in my opinion, since the owner will still have to pay his / her full resort maintenance fees, but is unlikely to be able to find another renter in just a few weeks from the actual usage date). Renters can (and perhaps should) purchase trip cancellation insurance, rather than just expect a timeshare owner to simply absorb financial loss due to a renter's "late" cancellation. In my personal opinion, an owner should always use a formal, detailed, written rental agreement and the cancellation / refund policy should be very clearly and precisely defined within that agreement, which is voluntarily signed by both parties before the rental occurs. This formality is a little extra effort, but effectively eliminates ANY possibility of misunderstandings or inaccurate or false renter claims after the fact.