Report Abuse

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

No, The lawsuit is the NYS Attorney General versus the Manhattan Club and its business practices.It doesn't involve any of the multitude of the unhappy timeshare owners from any particular state or country but all owners are anxiously awaiting the results to make a decision for themselves as how to deal with their issues .Until this lawsuit is over all transactions have been frozen (sales,foreclosures,accounts,etc).It seems to me that anyone who purchased a defined week ( One of the 52 specific weeks in a year) is in fairly good shape. However all of the bitterness and confusion comes into play if you were sold an undefined "FLEXTIME" version (BIENNIAL,TRIENNIAL,ETC), where the days you can book are hazy ,subject to restricted times of year, and competing with other "flextime" owners mixed in with regular year round hotel guests.These "flextime" contracts were oversold resulting in the frustration and anger you read about on these pages.The mortgage papers on two documents include this clever statement on the bottom "This contract is irrevocable" making it difficult to sell,give back or give away for free. Included in the mortgage payment is a monthly deduction from the principal of a $10. service fee for Equiant Financial in Scottsdale ,Az. aside from the interest. This needs to be fixed, "flextime" needs to be looked at because it is a very vague,gray area in timeshare.In May of 2008 when I sat down with the salesman he sold me a 7 day per year Manhattan Club "Metropolitan Suite" timeshare, after sleeping on it overnight I decided that it was too costly and approached him the next day to cancel as I was within the 7 day" right to cancel" period. The salesman not wanting to lose the sale then went to his back up plan and introduced me to the more "ECONOMICAL" "FLEXTIME" version(TRIENNIAL) 7 days over 3 years with the maintenance due every 3 years, he redrew up all the papers which I foolishly signed off on(How bad could this be?).. I should have walked out. In their high pressure quest for sales this scenario was probably repeated with a lot of others besides myself resulting in the current situation today.