Report Abuse

Re: Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Fellow owners...I just read an article in AARP, April 2017...the question was asked: I own vacation time shares "in perpetuity" (we we all do with TMC)..Does that mean my children may be forced to accept them and continue montlhy payments when I die? The answer was: Heirs cannot be forced to pay on a contract that they never agreed to.. They may owe any outstanding fees or debt, but payments stop when the estate closes and the assets are distributed to heirs. I was led to believe by my lawyer and TMC that I was responsible and had to accept the timeshares. I asked can I refuse these and I was told I could refuse my whole inheritance but not parts of it, like these timeshares. So I did what I was advised, put them in my name and now own them...One I gave back for $100 that I have not yet seen. Anyway, Robert Clements, vice president of regulatory affairs at the American Resort Development Association says inheritors can formally refuse ("disclaim") the inheritance of timeshares. So for those of you with kids and concern about this issue, you have your answer...just be sure your kids know.