Report Abuse

Re: Global Vacation Trade - Miami, Florida

[Q=williamp511] I'll be first to admit I don't know of anything about PROFECO, and if there even is such a thing, but I'd be a squeaky wheel until some one listened.[/Q] PROFECO is real; a quasi-governmental entity in Mexico that (sometimes) intervenes on behalf of a consumer when there have been improper (i.e., illegal) actions in timeshare transactions in Mexico. For specific example, if a seller has a buyer sign a waiver of his / her right to rescind (cancel) at the time of purchase, requesting that waiver is patently unlawful (even in Mexico). In such an clear instance, PROFECO will step in on request and help to reverse the purchase transaction, due to that blatantly illegal action by the seller. However, "trade in" entities and operations associated with Mexican timeshares are a dime a dozen and have been around for a very long time. They are basically looking to extract even more dollars from gringos who have ALREADY purchased a Mexican timeshare, but what they do is not actually illegal, so I doubt that PROFECO would choose to get involved. It couldn't hurt to inquire, but I certainly would not place any bets on getting PROFECO's attention, interest or involvement in complaints about any these "trade in" operations.