Report Abuse

Representative closing costs and transfer fees...

[Q=brendar298] Would you know a ball park figure for closing costs, deed, tax stamp (as you mentioned)? I know you are correct in saying everything is a bargaining chip but I am curious if these costs would normally be considered payable by buyer.[/Q] I have sold numerous timeshares. If you use (as I always do) an independent, established third part resale closing entity (which you definitely should), figure about $250 -- $300 in collective total for new deed prep, county recording fee, estoppel fee (if any) and escrow. Resort- imposed transfer fees are entirely separate and unrelated and transfer fee costs are all over the map. Hyatt charges $650. Wyndham charges $299. Most independent facilities (those not associated with any corporate "chain") generally charge $75-100, or sometimes charge no transfer fee at all. In any and all cases, the resort-imposed transfer fee is NEVER part of the closing company costs. Whether buyer or seller pays closing costs and / or transfer fee is entirely negotiable in private transactions; there is no "standard practice". For a timeshare with little or no demand, a seller may actually have to offer to give the timeshare away for free AND pay all closing costs AND the transfer fee too in order entice a prospective recipient. For a timeshare that actually has some market demand and value, seller can (try to) insist that the buyer pay all closing costs. Sometimes buyer and seller agree to "split" those costs. It all depends upon the individual transaction. When there is a middleman "broker" involved, there is generally a pre-identified standard practice regarding who pays closing costs. The obscene Palmera transfer fee of $1,500 as described above within this thread is little more than a money grab --- essentially just "legal larceny".