Report Abuse

The truth is not pretty...

[Q=gerards23] Ken ,Thank You for your response, This is the type of feedback I was looking for. I hold no anger or grudge against you as you've implied. However I'm 60 years old retired and totally disgusted with this whole timeshare industry . In my opinion there is no need to "own" your own hotel room.If you want to vacation just call up your resort and make a reservation whenever & where-ever you want , pay for it, go enjoy then return home without any strings attached. In my opinion this is NOT real estate even though they have structured it as such (mortgage,maintenance,property tax,etc.). You "own" nothing but the contract you sign. Especially the "FLEX-TIME" undefined week version that I was conned into purchasing (7days over 3 years) which was oversold because of aggressive goal oriented sales tactics. Maybe a specific defined week 1 thru 52 may be more reasonable and still have value and resale-ability. I've stopped paying mortgage & maintenance, and am not concerned about credit scores at this point in my life. I wish they would repossess it but even they know that there is nothing to repossess to begin with perhaps "TIME". Yes I am angry,bitter and want out of this. Right now the NYS Attorney General has an ongoing investigation (3 yrs) against my resort. There can be no sales or foreclosures until this investigation is finished. I've given them enough of my money already they'll have to get that "perpetual irrevocable" maintenance fee out of my corpse.Thank You.[/Q] I have neither implied nor intended to imply anything at all, but that's irrelevant. There are many different types and forms and flavors of timeshares. Some (including all of ours) are literally and most certainly "real estate", in which you own (by officially recorded deed) a specific week in a specific unit for your own exclusive use and access each year. There are of course many other "flavors" of timeshare, all of them less desirable (at least to me, but that's just my own personal opinion). There is absolutely no doubt that the timeshare industry (particularly at at the developer level) is replete with assorted liars, parasites, connivers, charlatans, greedy sales weasels, opportunists and various other thievesand scoundrels of ill intent. Fortunately however, there are also many smaller, independent timeshare resorts whose Board of Directors and HOA is comprised solely of other owners --- unpaid volunteers with no hidden agenda or motivation of personal gain, merely looking out for the interests of ALL owners there. Your description sounds to me very much like the ongoing mess at Manhattan Club in NYC. If so, I can only wish you well and hope that you can somehow extricate yourself from that situation and emerge whole. From what I've read of things there, it's truly a mess --- at best.