Report Abuse

Re: The Manhattan Club Lawsuit - RedWeek's Report & Most Recent Info

William, Unfortunately, we can only go by "I was told...I was told" as we only received the massive written documents weeks after we purchased. I actually took notes and wrote down all the things we were promised during the sales presentation, and none turned out to be true. The ironic thing is that we live in NYC and only purchased because we were promised our annual maintenance of $500 would "practically stay the same forever" since there was no pool, beach, etc. to maintain as in other timeshares. We felt that even with the RCI dues, we would be getting a bargain in trading The Manhattan Club for other properties. Now our maintenance is $1200 annually and coupled with the RCI dues and transfer fees (which also rise each year), each vacation costs us about $1600!! For this kind of money, we could stay in luxury hotels in major cities, not the limited, sometimes run-down resorts in inconvenient locations that dominate RCI. This year we decided not to trade and just have a staycation at TMC, thereby saving the RCI and transfer fees. I called 10 months in advance to make the reservation and was in for another shock. Although "we were told" during the sales pitch that we could get a reservation easily with the number on the back of the membership card, we found out by calling that number that we CAN NOT make a reservation at TMC directly, we must do it through RCI, which means we still have to pay annual RCI dues!! So we technically own nothing except an RCI membership, all because we believed what "we were told." You are right, if it is not in writing it's not worth anything. But realistically, the written documents arrived after the 7 day cancellation policy and it would have taken weeks to read! Like you, my husband and I have dutifully continued paying all fees to TMC (although we feel like suckers) but unlike you, we are NOT happy with our membership and I wonder if you are perhaps affiliated with Mr. Eichner and monitoring this site. Like everyone else, I hope that there is a resolution soon. I don't even care if our original purchase price is lost, as long as we never have to pay the maintenance again!! [Q=williamm465] I was told.....I was told......I was told. If it's not in writing, it's not worth anything. You learned an expensive lesson.[/Q]