Report Abuse

Re: Buying Marriott Destinations points

Yeah, I just did the *very* cheap third party purchase to get me to executive level. The 25% discount within 30 days is what we will be taking advantage of starting next year. Like you, we have complete freedom as to times. tugbbs has way more happy owners. The complaints from others about maint. fee solely on the fact that they have gone up is a strange one. Of course they went up, that is not a surprise. It's only a valid complaint when the particular resort being paid for (if legacy) is going up more than other prices. You think a hotel room costs the same today as say in 2007? Of course not. If maint fees go up more than hotel rates, sure. The average US hotel price has gone up 25% since 2011 (through 2016), that's average prices at all hotels, even the cheapies you would never stay in. So, if you take a better place, say the Polynesian at Disney, you will find the last 10 years have seen an 88% increase on the room rates. My maint fee is $1313 and was $1016 in 2011, this is 29%. Mind you, for a place with way more stuff on site than any hotel, pretty much close to the average hotel increase. So, yes, maintenance fees go up, and, hotels go up. Not surprising. If they go up far faster than that at your resort, then sure, you have a complaint. Points were .437 in 2012, .527 in 2016. That's 20%, but, one less year. The best way to get up in the level is to buy on the aftermarket if that is your goal.