Report Abuse

Timeshare flavors...

[Q=danm614] as said above timesahres are not an investment..........travel clubs are better and have more inventory without paying a maintenance fee. if you buy a timeshare......think of how you will get rid of it later...they are not easy to get out of. and FYI RTU is a certificate of beneficial interest...resorts created this to cover their butts for owners who dont pay maint fees .......they can repo with out difficulty from the owner[/Q] I have never been (and I certainly am not now) AT ALL a fan of "travel clubs" and their inherent reservation gyrations and uncertainty of desirable inventory and / or available dates, but to each their own. Also, "travel clubs" can (and do) frequently just fold up tent without notice and suddenly disappear into thin air. No thank you. Nonetheless, you make a very good and completely valid point that deeded timeshare ownerships can indeed be very difficult to part with later, particularly if it's a low demand week or low demand location or season. I strongly advise people to ONLY buy in the resale market (NEVER directly from any developer) and to ONLY purchase a week (after price comparison shopping) that they would actually be glad and willing to use and only at a resort they know and like in a location they can reliably afford to travel to each use year. Any other type of purchase, in my opinion, unnecessarily tips the "risk / reward" scales in an unfavorable direction, particularly buying something "cheap" just intending to "exchange" it. The whole "exchange game" is an expensive and uncertain fool's errand, in my opinion. Again however, to each their own.