Report Abuse

Not that easy...

[Q=patt199] What if I am on the deed with several other parties and we all went in on it together? Can I do a quit claim deed just for my name and leave the other names unchanged? It's been 20 years and I'm the only one that made the payments. I haven't used it in a decade yet I'm still the only one paying dues. When we made the purchase we all agreed to share the maintenance fees but the other parties flaked out. It would be sweet to be able to just remove my own name and watch the other guys have to finally own up to their commitments. I always took up the slack because I don't want to get into legal trouble.[/Q] In order to change / add / remove any names on the current recorded deed, [b]every[/b] party whose name appears on the current recorded deed must sign as grantor(s) on any subsequent new deed. This would also be true if the deeded timeshare was to be sold. In other words, no --- you [b]cannot[/b] just unilaterally "remove" yourself, since you are (legally speaking) only [b]one[/b] of the owners of record and all the others whose names are on the current deed must [b]also[/b] sign as "grantors" on any new deed. Whether quit claim or warranty deed is really completely irrelevant to this issue. In any deed, there must be [b]acceptance[/b] for the deed to be valid. The only good news here is that if you simply stop paying anything further, [b]all[/b] owners of record (i.e., all those whose names appear on the current deed, not just you) will be equally responsible in any subsequent collection efforts and / or later foreclosure action for non-payment. Surely not the answer you had hoped for, but it's true and accurate nonetheless.