Report Abuse

Re: New Owners

It is unfortunate that you have already paid the "special assessment." I found out about this through an otherwise benign appearing email with an imbedded PDA. It seemed excessive to me so I have looked into it. The staff at Summer Winds initially informed me that they would have a "portal" up by mid July that would document the justification for this. I finally was able to get into this and reviewed the audited 2017 "Reserve Report" and minutes from the March 2018 annual board meeting. Though the Reserve Report seems to indicate some future shortages, there is no mention of a need for a "special assessment." There was no discussion at the Annual Board Meeting regarding a special assessment. I contacted Owner Services at Summer Winds and they stated that the decision to initiate the special assessment was made sometime "after the meeting." I asked for documentation from that decision and am thus far have not received any. Owner Services seems to have a standard response to this as I have talked with them on three occasions now. Something about a "new clubhouse" (not mentioned in the reserve report or elsewhere)..."no assessment for 15 years"... "section two [of the contract regarding assessments]", etc. It would seem that it would take an official Board Meeting to assign such an assessment, and perhaps a vote of the owners. (That is how our local HOA works.) In reviewing the bylaws I also noted that the Board membership was to be turned over to the owners after "seven years" regardless of the number of units sold out. I believe that time has passed. Is the Board even legitimate? I would appreciate any information that you have come up with and will continue looking into this. [Q=keelyk3] We've been owners at Stormy Point for about 3 years...and it has always been messy dealing with them from the get go. When we received our recent assessment fee invoice I emailed reservations before we decided how to pay...meaning pay it out or pay it all at once and received the "free week" as we are a Tri Owner (not by choice...another long story). I started an email (so that we would have it in writing) to Reservations to inquire of any black out weeks, can the week use be split up etc. We were told in the email that we could only book 90 days in advance of when we wanted to use it. We wanted to use it over Thanksgiving 2018 which we were told was not an issue this year but couldn't book until August 17 for Nov 17-24th.Well after getting all the necessary information that we needed and thinking it looked like we could use it when we wanted... we decided to pay it all at once ($660) and get the free week. So we received our certificate in the mail about 2 weeks after we paid and on the certificate it read that it couldn't be booked more than 12 months out. I immediately sent another email and this is the email I received back out ....."At the time of the emails we have exchanged the certificates being sent had the 90 day verbiage, however, an agent with our company made a mistake on a consecutive order and the wrong certificates were sent to us, with verbiage of a 12 month booking window, not the 90 day that you was quoted. Again, at the time you was given the correct information, we had no intention on changing this 90 day window, it's just the order was submitted wrong. I apologize for the mistake on the order and hope you can please understand".I have double checked with our Inventory Control Dept. and we do not have any pet friendly cottages available for Thanksgiving week 2018. It was explained to me that holiday weeks had limited free weeks available, in order to leave owner weeks open for owners who have usage this year. I've also been advised that since there is no pet friendly for the time frame you are asking for that regardless of the booking window then or now, we are still not able to accommodate your request for Thanksgiving week." The saga with this timeshare ownership never ends.[/Q]