Report Abuse

Re: New Owners

Update...I had the opportunity to talk directly with Pat Joyce while my wife and I were staying at Stormy Point. It was purely by chance as we ran into him at the Pirates Cove (main clubhouse) bar. He remained quite vague as to the reason for the assessment...new linens, new appliances (these should be covered by our regular maintenance fees)...he's put "$450000" of his "own money into it"...something about a new sewer plant (as someone has already mentioned), etc. He again said that the board approved the special assessment. I mentioned a lack of any documentation and he said he "would get the 2018 reserve report onto the web site." The reserve report was already there and states that the reserves are "adequate." (And, again the March BoD meeting mentions nothing about the need for a special assessment.) After nothing else showed up on the Stormy Point web site I filed a complaint with the AG, specifically asking as to whether open meeting laws or other state regulations on timeshares might govern how these assessments are decided. The preliminary answer was that this was a legal issue and they couldn't help me. I am not sure they got my concern and am writing back for clarification. Otherwise this may require inquiry by an attorney or a class action intervention. In the course of our conversation, Joyce mentioned that he had sold Walley's Hot Springs in Nevada to Hyatt recently and my suspicion is that he is trying to pad the finances in order to sell Stormy Point to a large organization. I asked him what was to keep the Board from randomly assigning a $5000 special assessment and he said "nothing... [except bad PR]." Beware! Of course all the bad BBB reports etc. are all the fault of the "get out of your timeshare attorneys" who "randomly file" these "to recruit more clients." I am not nearly as concerned about the amount of the special assessment as to how it all came about. Is paying it just throwing good money after bad? Where does it all end? I know...welcome to the world of timeshares. I look forward to any ideas out there regarding this issue and will keep you posted.