Report Abuse

Wanting to sell timeshare.

[Q=stevel688] I have a paid for Southseas Plantation - Plantation Beach Club (Captiva, Florida) timeshare that I just don't use. It was paid for by my family years ago, and It was left with me when my father passed. What is the best way for me to sell the deed so I don't have to continuously pay maintenance fees and rent out the unit yearly? Do Redweek classifieds really work? Thanks,[/Q] In my personal opinion and first hand experience, RedWeek is probably the [b]best[/b] place to advertise a timeshare for sale (or rent). Just make sure that before you place any ad that you are fully prepared to answer potential buyer questions promptly, clearly and accurately. For example, is it a fixed or floating week? If fixed, what week number? If "floating", what is the specific week range that is eligible for owner reservation? Number of bedrooms? Occupancy limit? Reservation procedure? Last maintenance fee amount paid? Next available usage? Who is going to pay the closing costs (and the separate transfer fee)? I trust that your name is on the current deed. If not, there are going to be some legal complications if you do not actually have the legal standing to be "grantor" to new "grantee(s)". Last but not least, be sure to price the week realistically. No one cares one bit what your parents may have paid for their week in long ago yesteryear; it's irrelevant. All that matters now is the open resale market value of the week [b]today[/b]. Many timeshare weeks are literally worthless (but that's surely not the case for a week on Captiva Island. Look around for "comparables" (eBay, RedWeek, TUG, MyResortNetwork --- and maybe ask the resort itself for a recommended or historical price range for weeks like yours. If you price the week too high, your ad (wherever it's placed) will yield only silence and "crickets". Last but not least, let a closing company handle new deed preparation, new deed recording, escrow of purchase funds, resort notification after new deed recording. If you have no personal experience in this arena, a "do it yourself" approach will almost certainly lead to procedural errors, creating ownership transfer delays and unnecessary additional costs. Personally, I have used LTT Transfers in Cleveland, GA a number of times. They are a capable, communicative small business --- and yet probably the least expensive around (under $200). Resort "transfer fee", if any, is always a [b]separate[/b] cost which is never included in [b]any[/b] closing entity's basic fees. Only the resort can tell you what that (gratuitous, but nonetheless mandatory) transfer fee cost will be. Good luck.