Report Abuse

Marriott - Aruba

Through the years my husband and I have bought several different timeshares. Here are a few nuggets we have learned: 1. Only buy at a location you plan to return to, or make sure it is in an area of high demand (like Maui, Kauai, Orlando, some Caribbean locations). Do your research. 2. The points systems are replacing week systems and actually are better once you understand how they work. 3. If you don't plan to use it or rent it out every year, then don't buy - rent when you need it. The annual dues are expensive if you aren't using or renting the unit. 4. If you have kids and are taking family vacations every year, this can be a great option to make the vacation more affordable. However, once the kids are grown and you're no longer taking as many trips you might be losing money in annual maintenance fees for vacations you no longer use. This is where we are now - trying to sell some of our timeshares. That being said, Aruba is a great location and we enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Ocean Club a few year's back. I read something on Redweek about how resale purchases of Marriott timeshares does not have the same benefits as purchasing from Marriott. I suggest you look into this so you don't miss out on a benefit you were particularly interested in. Best Wishes.