Report Abuse

Re: Donating my timeshare to a charity

This thread started in 2011 it looks like, and thank goodness I ran across a suggestion from someone who posted years ago. I have an HGV property in Florida and usually banked my week and stayed at an RCi property. Like many others I have spent countless hours trying to offload my timeshare. After several years of use I wanted more flexibility than this old model of travel allows (thank goodness for Airbnb and VRBO!) and to get away from the fees that continue to grow each year. I'm fortunate in that it was gifted to me, so I didn't need to recoup an investment. After wasting a few months with HGV listing it for sale, and with the Jan 1 fees coming due, I got serious about digging into this. Charities no longer want timeshares because they have the same problems we do with liquidating them. Even if you find one, you're probably going to have to pay a few hundred dollars in fees for the transfer. I called the salesperson representing my property and asked about the deedback option I read at the top of this thread. After first trying to convince me to let her drop the price again and give it a little more time to sell, she said the property can't say that's an option (officially) but if that's the route I plan to go then I should call a specific title company, and she gave me a name and phone number. Finally, some headway! I paid just under $300 in title search and related fees, and waited patiently. After about a month I received a copy of the registered and finalized deed - now back in the name of the property. I'm no longer responsible for fees and it's time to celebrate. I sincerely hope this helps someone else out there!