Report Abuse

Help— owner doesn’t use rental agreements

[Q=eileenh177] I checked the reservation under his name at the resort as some of you suggested, and the owner's name, date and unit size are as promised. Having said that, could it be cancelled even if the reservation was changed to my name? [/Q] As previously stated, an owner can put a reservation in whatever name(s) he or she chooses, whenever he or she chooses. Short of the resort being closed (due to hurricane damage, fire, etc.) or an owner failing to have paid his / her maintenance fees before the occupancy date, there aren't many (if any) other scenarios in which a reservation would just be unilaterally "cancelled". Bear in mind too that any owner who took money from someone and then failed to provide the "product" would be committing a crime. Larceny over $300 is a [b]felony[/b] crime in most states (although the absence of a contract certainly complicates the burden of proof). If you've had a conversation with the owner and the names and the facts all match, there really isn't much more that you can do if the owner refuses to participate in a rental contract (a refusal which I [i]personally[/i] find very strange and also totally unacceptable, but YMMV). I guess you'll have to just go with your "gut" in making your decision.