Report Abuse

Re: Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Gail, I fully understand what I purchased. By everyone stopping payment you will get this matter into a courtroom much more quickly then the path that is now being taken. It really is that simple. At that point I would hope that the owners (us) would be willing to hire an attorney(s) to represent us who has experience in this area. It would also open Eichner et al to discovery where we could really demand that he be ordered to provide documents showing us where all of the money has gone over the years, including the nightly rentals, how much he oversold units etc - thus leaving himself open for a fraud charge. Criminal charges will lead to a civil settlement in order to avoid jail. Even in a normal case it is a very long road to complete a foreclosure. This is not a normal case and I believe that the courts would move slowly given that there are potentially thousands of victims in this case who were defrauded so I am not concerned about losing the building itself. We are not just investors who lost money, we were conned. As far as Mr Zimmerman's past record, I do not believe nor agree that a court would not take notice of his prior record. There is no doubt in my mind that Eichner's attorneys will be the first to point it out and say that the current matter before the court is a continuation of his practice of bringing frivolous cases before the courts. There appears to be another case in Texas from a couple of years ago where another judge was accusing him of the same or similar actions. I have not had the time to see how that case and/or the allegations against Mr Zimmerman were resolved. As I said in a prior post, I wish those who have enlisted Mr Zimmerman's services the best of luck. I hope I am wrong but..... [Q=tulipblossom] John, Kathleen, Becky and others who may not understand what you have purchased. My 2 deeds show that I purchased ownership in the building and land - those are very valuable assets. When you stop paying your annual assessments, you in essence are hurting yourselves .We timeshare owners own the building and the land in fee simple- we (not Eichner) are The Manhattan Club The major part of the maintenance fees you pay are to pay the taxes, insurance, operational expenses, the staff, utilities,and reserves caused primarily because other owners have ceased paying their annual assessments. etc. You are urging all owners to stop paying - where do you think that will get you? Nowhere!! The building ( which you and other timeshare owners own) will have a lien placed upon it for non payment of taxes and it will be sold. You'll get zilch. What is even worse is that Eichner's cronies will be in the wings and will probably purchase the building and land at a huge discount. They will get a valuable asset for pennies on the dollar and then can convert it to a hotel. How will Eichner be hurt by what you are suggesting all owners do? He will be hurt only if he continues to own some of the timeshare weeks which is doubtful and he loses them in the foreclosure. So, please explain to me what you think will be accomplished by all owners ceasing to pay their annual assessments? And John, you erroneously pointed out that the courts may look at Zimmerman's past record and dismiss these cases he is now bringing. - that is absolutely false - he has a law license so he is able to continue to practice and the courts can not base their decisions on his past actions - the facts are entirely different. As I pointed out earlier, I have a law degree and there are a number of attorneys who get censured and fined by the courts and they continue to practice. Cases are decided on the merits - not on the attorney's past behavior. So, as long as Mr. Zimmerman has a law license, he will be able to represent clients and practice law. He is the best bet at this juncture and I totally agree with others that $1250 is a small price to pay if we are able to obtain some relief from this miscarriage of justice.[/Q]