Report Abuse

Re: Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Julie, if you don't pay your MF nothing will happen right away except for more letters. But that doesn't mean the matter has been settled. There is a whole body of commercial law covering things like this, and there is probably the potential for being sued later for non payment as well as having the property foreclosed, damaging your credit and creating additional tax consequences. Don't take my word for it; if you want a truly informed opinion, you should hire an attorney with expertise in that field. But attorneys do cost money, and it seems people here are reluctant to spend even $1250 to retain the only attorney willing to take the case at this point. Maybe you can just abandon it. But personally, I don't think you can just stop paying and ignore the paperwork you signed. If you legally purchased the timeshare, it must be legally transferred to the next owner, usually through sale or foreclosure. Until that happens, you are responsible for it. Sometimes people who have stopped payment put the funds in an escrow account. That's how you show your problem is with the contract and not about avoiding payment. But I don't hear anyone here talking about escrowing funds, just complaining about how they can't sell or how expensive the fees have become or how MC is not living up to their end. Which is what the AG's settlement was intended to resolve, no matter how inadequate the settlement or whether some want to acknowledge it or not. I'd get real advice before deciding on non-payment. I pay my MF, use my time and wait for the next chapter.