Report Abuse

Re: Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Just for your information: I recently received the paperwork from TMC regarding a deed back for my one week annual Jr flex. Among the many documents was a tax form that states the size of the property as "365 sq ft" and "assessed value of property is $117,186.00". As far as the TMC "deed-back" offer, it is being made to those who have not paid the maintenance fees. I stopped some time ago and notified TMC management in writing my intent and at the same time requested that I be placed on the list for the opportunity to deed back the timeshare when available. The current offer is three-fold.....a.) bring your account current regarding maintenance fees. b.) deed back the property for $100. c.) do nothing - which I believe eventually will become a legal collection matter with the new owners. In regard to The Manhattan Club, I have been an "owner" since 2001 and never had an issue other than cost. I have always been able to get the days or week that I wanted. In addition, TMC has provided me "many extra perks whenever there were issues". (tickets, dinners, extra days) Many of the issues discussed here are industry wide and similar in other businesses. In fact, air lines are, in some ways, even more devious regarding extra costs and over-bookings and that industry is supposedly regulated! Over the past few years, I have read many of the complaints here at redweek pertaining to TMC. High maintenance fees are certainly a valid issue. Many of the other issues are the result of poor communication and owners not understanding the timeshare process and/or unable to meet the requirements necessary to book a suite when desired. Yes, many of the sales people exaggerated and led individuals to believe there was more to the timeshare purchase than what actually was available. (how many other industry sales reps have done that) However, that lesson should have been learned in year one of ownership and adjustments made accordingly. Finally regarding the NY AG and the settlement.....was it fair? I don't think so. Unfortunately the structure of the timeshare industry prevents any meaningful settlement under the law and the NY AG settlement was very limited in scope from the start. Also, the settlement was further weakened by the fact that there are more satisfied owners and/or neutral owners than there are here on the past 286 pages. I do hope that everyone here does find a way to come to terms with the issues / concerns expressed whether it be deed-back, legal action or something else. Regardless of the type of settlement, I do sincerely hope it brings you peace. As for me....I have learned my lesson(s) and am now able to move on.