Report Abuse

Re: We are thinking about a Timeshare Purchase, whats your honest opinion???

[Q=robertr558] Because the first [timeshare purchase] one went well, we bought another in Sedona, Arizona. That company was bought out by another one and the maintenance fees soon rose to intolerable levels. That property was a total loser and we did get out. Due to a non-disclosure agreement I cannot say more. It was horrible. I will never go to another update, nor buy another timeshare. I used to sit in my Sedona timeshare and look online and see that I could be in the same room for half of what I was paying in maintenance fees. "Maintenance Fees" is really a misnomer, as these funds are used for operations and profit. That one unit could be generating $100,000 in maintenance fees a year. It should have gold toilets at that price, but it does not. Maybe the sales person has a gold toilet. If these products are so great, why do they have to resort to such high-pressure, deceptive and dishonest sales tactics in order to sell them?[/Q] VERY WELL STATED! Your point about how much money a single unit can generate in a year -- easily $50,000 at $1000 per owner per year -- is rarely if ever included in these conversations. What kind of money do you suppose Marriott generates per year at the Newport Coast, California, resort which has, last I heard, 46 buildings? If, say 20 units per building, times, say, $1500 per owner per year, times 50 weeks in a year (2 out for deep cleaning?) times 46 buildings? And now we can understand how Marriott got to be the WORLD'S largest timeshare company....