Report Abuse

Re: Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Also, I'm not a lawyer, but I am a former certified financial planner, and have assisted in the settlement of many estates, working with estate planning lawyers. It has been my experience that heirs can disavow most inheritances, except in Canada. In Canada the Wyndham Carriage Resorts HOA will bleed a decedent's estate for maintenance fees on a fully paid for timeshare, then sue the children and grandchildren every few years, gleefully boasting they have never lost a case. In a similar fashion, in California, Indian Wells timeshare informed an owner they will take her to small claims court on past due maintenance fees. If they win, they then can get a judgment, garnishee wages and put a lien on your person residence. This strategy is complicated if the buyer did not buy in California as they have to cross a state line to get a judgment. They wanted to charge her three years of maintenance fees on a fully paid for timeshare - $2,700. She said she would pay one year or $900. They settled with $1,200. Since she inherited the timeshare, never used it and the family owned it for 30 years, she felt $2,700 was extortion. The moral of the story, don't buy a timeshare without knowing this can happen.