Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: BlueGreen Vacations Timeshare Scam Warning!!! (by Debby B.):

I do understand the "timeshare" scam warning IF you are actually scammed, which I know happens more often then not and usually with other companies (which we made the mistake once to go to another company presentation, never again, not that we were scammed, we go our incentive but hubby had to use the ol' "bad back/can't sit anymore" ploy while true at times was not then). Our Bluegreen Experience was NOT a scam. 1. We were approached at a Bass Pro Shop in OKC, "vacation package" was listed as $99, we walked by. But a bit later we were in the same Bass Pro Shop and the package was now $50, we stopped and booked. We were told we would be staying in a 3 star hotel, had to go to a presentation, and I believe it was for 3 nights. This was back in 2007 in February. (we had never had a vacation before, our son was already in double digit age, 3 nights in Branson, MO for only $50! win win for us!!) 2. I don't remember what hotel we stayed at in Branson, MO but it was a nice 3 star hotel. We did the presentation, which started with a video. (pre-story: I distinctly remember telling my husband we are doing this for the trip, as we've never been able to afford a "vacation", but we are NOT BUYING A TIMESHARE due to the horror stories I had heard.) But after the video explaining that the timeshare is not 1 week in the same spot year after year but points that you can spend in several different places, it wasn't were we going to buy it was HOW? 3. Our sales person was a decent older guy, and was not the "pushy" type. He and his manager worked with getting us into a timeshare points package that we could afford as we were already decided after just watching the video, so no pushy sales pitch was needed. I don't even remember what we walked out of there with as an incentive, I think it was a voucher for one of the shows or dinner theaters. 4. AND THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! Our sales guy gave us the BEST ADVICE EVER, he told us "do not expect to get what you want when you want, be flexible". This worked well for us as I was a stay-at-home and we homeschooled so we were able to take many vacations during the off season. 5. We have been Bluegreen owners for 15 years, we have upgraded twice and are now Premier owners but not top tier. Our timeshare is paid for and we only pay the maintenance yearly. We purchase our second timeshare with another company in 2015, Disney Vacation Club but we get more usage out of our Bluegreen points. DVC is nice but the exchange is a bit of a nightmare so if you only stay in DVC properties it's great so it is very limited in my book. But as we like DVC properties it isn't much of an issue for us, just not a user friendly as Bluegreen. 6. During our second upgrade, we did it at a Florida property in Miami and THAT was a nightmare, so I really do think it is fairer to say, that some "sales people" are the scam NOT Bluegreen. They are pushed to do certain quotas and their upper management in their particular office are probably pushier than others, but as a whole it is NOT Bluegreen. I have never felt "scammed" in our 15 years with them other than certain times we were told by a SALES PERSON, something that turned out to be not the correct information, so THAT sales person to make THEIR quota. 7. Now we just tell them no on owner updates. We are happy and don't need anymore points at this time. They can be slightly "encouraging" for us to do an update, and are thoroughly confused how we can turn down a $100 gift card, but it is our vacation and we want to enjoy all of it. They do not continue to bother us once we tell them no after the first call to our condo or at check in. We have stayed at many Bluegreen properties and this has been the case at all of them. 8. Last thing, if it were not for our Bluegreen timeshare ownership we would not have been able to take the plethora of vacations we have over the years. We've been to Florida multiple times, as well as Missouri (recently we were able to book 3 condos for a Christmas with family who all live in different states), and Wisconsin, Arizona, Utah, Texas, South Carolina, Montana, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada. We've also used our points for hotel stays at different times. Our Anniversary trips are more of "where is available" rather than this is what we are doing", to us this is fun and challenging to see where we end up. And yeah, it is not always where we would like to go, but then there is the next year....we were married in the Spring so unfortunately a lot of "desirable" places are full. It makes me sad when I hear of someone having a bad experience with Bluegreen since it has been such a wonderful part of our traveling life. I just hope I can let people know that these moments are an exception rather than the rule.