Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Floating Weeks (by KC):

adahiscout asks, quoted only in pertinent part:

>> Could you explain the "5-15" blackout rule? I've never heard of it. Actually, we have had pretty good luck using both exchanges and owned groups in Florida in January over the years << =====================================

January comprises weeks 1-4, and therefore is not within the "weeks 5-15 blackout" time period, so that's comparing apples to oranges. They're different.

The rule is very straightforward. At the resorts which implement this rule, a float week owner there simply cannot reserve a week between week 5 and week 15, inclusive --- even if space is available during that time frame. (Of course, if available at all, the "house" will simply rent out that unit at top dollar, either on behalf of the HOA or at a unit owner's request). I can think of at least a half dozen, maybe eight, SW Gulf Coast resorts which implement this practice as standard policy, without researching any further. I'm sure there are more resorts with this policy that I don't know about. However, at the risk of appearing to "bad mouth" any particular resorts (at some of which I also own weeks), I don't think it would be prudent for me to actually list the ones I know of individually. Suffice it to say that (as I stated previously), the prospective purchaser of any float week in coastal Florida should very clearly and specifically determine and KNOW on a case by case basis *BEFORE PURCHASE* whether or not the resort in question has any such reservation "blackout" period restrictions attached. Years ago, I learned this lesson (the hard way) myself. The seller was "less than forthcoming" about this little detail and I was, at that time, too inexperienced to ask ALL of the right questions before closing on the purchase (that restriction was not refleted anywhere within the deed either). I sold that week long ago, but live and learn --- and maybe try to prevent someone else from making that same mistake.....