Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: What is the value of an RCI point? (by Mary D.):

ken1193 wrote:
mackf4 states / asks, quoted only in pertinent part:

>> I suppose since none of you can get me into the bowels of the RCI website, my question to existing RCI point members are:

1. How many points do you receive each year?

2. How many resort nights can you get in peak season? Value season? (I know this will vary greatly with location, but approximately how much bang do you get from your vacation buck?)

3. Do you feel you have enough points each year? Do you ever resort to buying/borrowing? << ======================================

While I am unwilling to discuss in any public Internet forums the inner details of my personal timeshare accounts or practices, I am certainly at least willing to give you some benchmark numbers from the 2007 RCI points value summary for your reference (and I'd be glad to look up any others you specifically identify).

You previously and specifically mentioned Hawaii, so I'll present point requirements for both a 1BR size and a hotel / suite size (which is "RCI-speak" for "studio", often just a converted motel room) unit there. In Hawaii, for RCI points purposes, the entire year is "Red" time, so the season matters not at all ---points required for a week stay (when/if you can get one at all) are exactly the same at ANY time of year:

Gold crown, silver crown and standard are RCI designations (with which I quite often disagree) for alleged "standards of quality". Personally, I've found many "standard" units to be eminently acceptable and, again just a personal view, I neither need nor want the alleged "elegance" of Gold Crown resorts (or the holier than thou attitudes often exhibited by occupants therein). That's gratuitous and unsolicited personal opinion, I will readily admit, but I'm being honest.

1BR size, Hawaii, per week: Gold Crown: 60,000 points Silver Crown: 44,500 Standard: 36,000

Hotel/suite (studio) size, Hawaii, per week: Gold Crown: 41,000 Silver Crown: 30,500 Standard: 23,500

Except for Europe (higher still than points amounts cited above for Hawaii), points figures for virtually anyplace else in the world will be LESS than those cited above, so I hope this at least gives you a starting frame of reference for the amount of RCI points required for a full week. Daily stays (where available) are generally 12% of the totals indicated above, except that weekend nights are each 20% of the points figures cited. Daily points requirements are likely academic in a place like Hawaii anyhow, since you're not ever going to find any availability for less than a full week (if, indeed, you can even find that). Furthermore, less than full week stays also mean having to pay the resort an additional "cleaning" fee for your "partial" week stay.

I seem to recall links on other sites (was it TUG?)connecting directly to the RCI points grid for the entire world, even for non-RCI members, with no "log in" to RCI site required, so I don't think this is anything even remotely resembling "proprietary information". That said, the above points numbers are right from my own RCI printed materials for 2007, here in my hands. I hope it's of some help or use to you as a starting point and frame of reference.

=======

Would someone who buys a 1BR unit at a RCI POINTS Gold Crown all red season resort in Florida, for example, get 60,000 pts with which to trade or will the points value of their resort vary a lot depending on location? MD