Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Closing companies and details... (by KC):

spephm states / asks: >>Thank you for your speedy and very helpful response. My next question is how do you find a reputable closing company? We are in negotiations with a buyer and I am presuming they will have their own closer and we will need our own in order to avoid conflict of interest. Your help is appreciated.<< ===============================================

You're very welcome. As the seller, you DON'T actually need to engage or utilize a closing company at all. Only one closing company needs to be involved for the transaction and, unless you have some arrangement to the contrary with your buyer, it should be the buyers' responsibility to select (and pay) a closing company of their own choice. You will, as seller, be asked to provide a copy of the current deed to the closing company. If you don't have a copy, they can search county records (and maybe charge a small additional fee to do so) and find the recorded current deed based upon current owner name and the year of acquisition. You will be asked (required, actually) as seller to sign a "release" form, authorizing the resort to disclose to the buyers' closing company the status of your account there (any unpaid bills, maintenance fee payment status, exisiting liens or encumbrances, etc.).

I've had personal experience with several closing companies over the years. I recommend without hesitation either Timeshare Transfer or JRA Closing Services (for the record, I have no affiliation with either one, other than as a paying customer). I don't much care for Resort Closings, Inc., having seen evidence of them being both slow and insufficiently attentive to detail for my liking. I can't comment on any others since I have no other first hand personal experience --- and I don't engage in "hearsay".

You don't identify the state where your timeshare is actually located, but you should be advised in advance that many closing companies will NOT conduct closings in some states. Hawaii is one state where some closing companies just don't want to get involved. Also, be advised that a South Carolina timeshare will specifically require the involvement of a SC bar attorney. Most closing companies will indicate right on their web site the states in which they will or will not handle closings. It does NOT matter where either the seller or the buyer lives; the U.S. state in which the timeshare is physically located is the fact of interest for the closing company. I cannot offer informed input on timeshare closings when the facility is located outside of the USA, having no personal knowledge or experience in closings outside of the USA. I hope this helps you. Good luck.