Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Timeshares is good investment or not. (by Peter C.):

carvana wrote:
... In my opinion, and statistically supported, the average "Joe" or "Jane" with a minimal knowledge of either the stock market and/or housing market could have made money over the last twenty years excluding the last year but I submit that no average investor could have consistently made money investing in timeshares over the same period ... In reality a timeshare is not a good monetary investment for the average person ... To illustrate, consider you purchase a $20,000 timeshare that you expect to own and use [resulting in] a negative return of $31,000 not including the II and/or RCI fees you will pay.

WHAT? You can't say stocks are better than timeshares, but specifically omit the current performance of stocks while using the current performance of timeshares to make your point. Clearly both investments are getting hammered. Your comparing 20 years of stocks to timeshares also has faults. I have time and time again stated you must buy re-sale units to realize increase in timeshare value. Buying a timeshare from a developer is like buying stock at the top of a market and selling it at the bottom of a market. Of course it doesn't work that way. But when comparing apples to apples (best value in each case) the comparison is much more accurate.

I love your faulty $20,000 purchase, including interest rates and maintenance payments and even the exchange fees. What happened to the deduction in cost from not having to spend money on hotel units? LOL I have only seen one sided examples like yours during a timeshare preserntation!

Be realistic. timeshares bought direct have poor investment value but if used correctly can still be a good investment. timeshares on the re-sale market offer excellent investment value as vacation use products or rental products. All life decisions require common sense and expenditure of time to best ensure a positive outcome. People who don't invest the time and use common sense will not realize a satisfactory return on their investment, timeshare or otherwise.