Maintenance Fees

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Maintenance Fees (by Thomas C.):

I think there are some flaws in your argument. First, $850 per week times 20 units times 50 weeks/yr (2 weeks not counted) = $850,000 not $550,000. Secondly, any resort that needs 10 employees for every 20 units is WAY over-staffed. In the apartment business, generally 1 maintenance person per 50 apartment units is about average. Even if you doubled that for time-shares and then added a management staff of 3-4 people for a 100+ unit resort, you should not need that kind of budget. My resort shows huge amounts for administration and management fees ($1,310,000 for those 2 line-items out of a $3,082,000 total budget for 108 units), and that does not include housekeeping or repairs and maintenance, which are separately budgeted items. I would agree the workers are not getting rich, but I would also maintain the management company is at their and our (the owners) expense. Any management company that operated that way in the apartment industry would be out of business in a hurry because they would have no business. When the person who owns the management company also controls the Board it is a different story.