Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to a Point System (by Thomas N.):

I would like to be optimistic that Marriott could somehow go to a point system and do it right, but there is very little likelihood this can be done in such a way that owners will benefit. The main problem is in the way points are arbitrarily assigned. There are so many variables as to why a particular unit should or should not be assigned a given point value, that it will be impossible to equitably assign the points.

For example, everyone knows that the Maui Marriott is one the most desirable properties in the world among timeshares. As a result, if someone owns and locks off a two bedroom unit, both sides individually are in great demand, both for trade purposes and as a rental. However, once the new Marriott points are assigned, it is highly unlikely that the points will come anywhere close to the value of each sides separately. While, owners will still have the option to use the property themselves, the problem will occur in those years when an owner will want to trade.

I have gone to Westin and Hilton sales presentations and have not purchased specifically because both use a point system, which by its nature is inherently flawed. Moreover, I have spoken to owners of these "point system" timeshares and most people are dissatisfied once they have been involved for awhile. Yes, the "spin" by the salespeople is that a point system provides more flexible usage options (i.e., less than seven day stays, midweek stays, greater resort usage options). The reality, however, is that (like the airline programs) the points can and often are devalued over time (i.e., the same number of points can be used for less). Moreover, as indicated above, the assignment of points to a particular property is very difficult and full of inequities.

I have owned Marriott timeshares for nearly 20 years. I own 5 different locations and have been greatly pleased with virtually everything Marriott has done over the years. Moreover, I have recommended Marriott to many friends who have purchased. However, I believe this points system has very little chance of being of benefit to owners. I AM VERY UPSET BY THIS AND THINK MARRIOTT TIMESHARE OWNERS SHOULD OPPOSE THIS, EVEN IF LITIGATION IS NECESSARY.