Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by T M.):

I have seen all the points booklets. I know about Platinum Plus weeks. I am capable of understanding all the info. I know the salesperson was painting a bleaker than usual picture to try to sell points. I was not stupid enough to take the bait. But, that being said - I do not believe the salesperson lied. Points users can take away some of my desirable weeks at Mountainside. The reality is that there probably won't be enough owners at Mountainside who convert their weeks into Points to create her worst case scenario. Also not everyone will be willing to pay the extra 20% in points to go 13 months out to make a reservation. However, there will probably be many more people willing to give up extra points to go ski at Park City Mountainside than to go to one of the many Orlando resorts like Lakeside. People will save up a couple of years of points or purchase some extra points to go ski in PC. Up to 50% of the best weeks can be reserved by points users. (if the week is available for point exchange) I have heard that more than once. I have had a difficult time getting my first choice of week before the points program. I don't always get the week I want. It is now going to be more challenging. I also own a platinum Marriott Orlando resort week. I have never had a problem getting a good week in Orlando in my platinum season. Orlando resorts have many rooms and there are many Marriott timeshares there. So with Marriott Lakeshore you probably have no problem getting the week that you want in your season. I suggest that you should not assume that - I don't understand the program or that the sales person was giving misinformation. Two people - a Reservation Rep for MVCD Points program and a salesperson both told me that if you have the necessary amount of points and the week has been designated into Points - than a reservation can be made irregardless of whether the person reserving is using "trust" points or "legacy" points. A point is a point, is a point. I asked both Marriott people I spoke, to clarify that information - because I have read otherwise on forums. Both said if the property is available to reserve using points than it doesn't matter. Why would Marriott care what kind of point is used? When a person uses points they are paying a fair market value to stay at a resort. I have seen the booklets. I know to stay at Branson it will cost very few points to stay. To stay in Hawaii during high season it may cost you two weeks of Lakeshore points. It will no longer be a week for a week exchange. Marriott will make more money selling points to people who own a lower point value week and want to go other places than where they own. Of course, that person will find it difficult (maybe next to impossible) to trade using Interval now - if lots of people convert their week into the point system instead of using Interval. You know, now the silver week amount of points will only allow them to go to other resorts during off-season or other places with a low point value. I bet none of the new resorts will have low point values. The point system will probably net Marriott more money from owners who want to trade to go to a new property sometime in the future. I believe that many customers bought into Marriott timeshares for the fun of trading their week to go to other places that Marriott owns. Just now it is going to cost more Points (which means dollars) to go to the newer or more desirable places. Would it make sense to not allow all Marriott timeshare owners to use legacy points to stay at the new resorts to be built in the future? The new resorts will be more costly in point value to go to. Therefore, the owner will have to give up more legacy weeks to stay at the new resorts. Some may just buy points to make it easier to stay at new resorts instead of saving points from years. The game has definitely been changed and Marriott will get more $ in the end. You are entitled to your opinion, but, It is my opinion that the Points system was designed to benefit Marriott - not the owners.