Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Bob P.):

Paul, as I have stated, I think without a doubt Marriott has the best and safest units on the market. Frankly, no matter what happens to the points program, the units will always be there and well kept. That said, I for one would never pay that much for the points necessary to the good locations.

If it were me, I would look for a great location that I know that I would always enjoy going back to, if that was my only option. In my case its Desert Springs and Maui. With each of these, I have had fantastic success trading my excess when I wanted to. With DS, the unit is a 2Br LOCKOFF. Which means that since I rarely need the efficiency unit I can deposit and trade it through Interval Int. each year and always go down and stay in the master. The effect is that I get two weeks each year from that property. With Maui, I have two units there and only need one. Whenever I trade one, II has given me a second Bonus week. Thus getting three for two. Marriott would have you believe that this may not always happen, but for now it sure does.

If you can find a 2BR Lockoff unit in such a place with a maintenance fee under $1000, such a Desert Springs, that you can pick one up in the aftermarket for around $15,000 you would be way ahead. You can always convert to points later if you think you need more. You would need to pay more to convert, but it is reasonable. Frankly there is all kinds of inventory available. As good as I think mine are, I don't believe that I could get back the amount I paid for them. I could probably get my money back on the Maui units as long as I sold it on my own.