Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Den):

My suggestion is that you start by buying three of the better Marriott "Platinum" season resale weeks in great locations - total well under $30k. You can tell the relative value of the resorts by looking at the rental listings in Redweek. I say three because this gives you the reservation advantage (13+ months for concurrent or sequential reservations). Keep in mind that you cannot enroll these weeks in the Dest. program. However, you can use them, rent them, exchange thru Interval, etc. With good planning, your $30,000 purchase would get you reservations at less than 25% of the cost of the Dest. Pts required to do the same thing.

Marriott properties are generally great; however, there are some that are more in demand and command higher rents. Bob had some recommendations which I'm sure are good. I recommend that you also look at Newport Coast Villas where good summer Platinum weeks can be had for $8 to $9,000 each. I know, because I bought two for $8,000 or less last summer and fall. Being a finance guy, my view was that in the worst case I pay the $1,000 in annual maintenance fees, rent them for $2,000 and they pay for themselves in just over 8 years. Plus, I can eventually sell them if necessary for near what I paid for them. I know Newport and suspect similar results may be possible from other weeks. One last thought, I would not buy units that I would not be excited to use.

I know that what I have written seems inconsistent with my previous writings but this is what I would do with the benefit of my experience.

'Hope this helps.

PS, added Sat morning - Don't forget - the least costly, most flexible, low cash alternative is to just rent what you will use thru Redweek. Owning timeshares/points is expensive, requires planning, and lots of attention. It is not as easy as one would think. However, my wife says this alternative does not force me to plan and take vacations - she is always right.