Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Steve M.):

Well Charles - we really do have similar conditions. I too, like you, could continue to use the reservations at the home resort, and not use points to be able to go to other resorts in the network. But the reason I was interested in the point system was to be able to go to other resorts, without going through Interval or other time share exchange systems.

My issue with Navigo, was that they were not offering enough points in exchange for my unit - one of the highest priced units in their entire system, at the number one property they have in Florida - to stay at either my own or any other decent size unit at the same time of year that I had purchased.

I like you would not want to give up a two bedroom, ocean front in their Diamond season, for a one bedroom in low season in Orlando.

After enough people complained and backed out of deals because of the bad points conversion, they changed the system to give you enough points to use any week at your home resort, in the type of unit you owned. This doubled my usage potential.

As to the signing contracts and backing out of them. You may not be able to do this in every state, but you can in Florida. You have 10 days to send a letter rescinding your contract. The point of doing so is that it cost the resort system money to run these programs - and they give out incentives like meal vouchers and the like during the presentations at many resorts. When you then cancel the contract, they are required to refund ALL your money, and you don't have to give back vouchers you already used. This greatly increases their expenses in selling the conversions. Money will get their attention if nothing else does.

As I said, Navigo changed their ways, and I bought in to convert two of my units over to the points system. I have since purchased 4 more units that were already in the points system, so I did not have to pay the conversion fee. Such after market purchases may work for NEW purchasers in your system, but of course won't help the legacy owners.