Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

May Newsletter Q&A: Second Market Timeshare Owners 'Caught' By RCI (by Ron D.):

Steve! You just don't get it! What you buy is a week to use if you "pay the bill" (Maint fees) as you say. That is part of the contract that you agree to when you buy. All these other things are perks that the developer does not sell. They are NOT on the sales contract! They give you the ability to trade for hotel points, etc, etc... as add on bonuses.

You keep the week you bought no matter what. The contract you sign most often clearly states that you are buying unit#xxx, interval week xxxx (1/52) at xxxx resort. You can sell that week at any time for the going market rate. That rate is determined by the market NOT the developer.

It is the added on perks that the developer gave to you as a retail buyer that do not transfer when you sell. Usually the add on contracts clearly state none of them transfer pretty clearly. If you do not like it do not buy! I have a feeling, an assumption on my part, is your arguments are based on your situation. You have stated you have 10 timeshares. You want or will want to sell them at some point and you are bitter that you can not offer all the perks the developer offered you originally, to your resale buyer. Thus you can not get the inflated developer price.

I have heard it said this way... purchase of a timeshare is an investment - an investment in lifestyle, family, quality time, etc.etc. Anyone who buys a timeshare for a FINANCIAL INVESTMENT is a fool. Much like a vehicle, the depreciation when you walk out of the showroom is astronomical and continues from there.