Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Charles S.):

Robertw529,

What I stated was that the number of Vacation Points to stay in a unit does not change, thus no matter how many dollars it cost to buy the points at the current value, the unit will always need the same amount of points to stay there. So if you bought points to stay in a Marriott Lakeshore Reserve Deluxe 2 bedroom and it was 3000 points to stay in that unit in the summer, then six years later it will be 3000 points to stay in that same 2 bedroom unit.

robertw529 wrote:
I have one observation about the assertion that Vacation Club Points may not be reduced in value. Marriott continues to sell and sell and sell Vacation Club Points and with each sale the points held by previous buyers is diluted. In that way the value of the points is reduced. Marriott has recently helped bolster the value of Vacation Club Points by acquiring new property. But until the new property goes on line points owners will have unavailability problems due to the growing number of points competing for available properties.

charless345 wrote:
I can see where there is a problem just by your response. You don't have a strong understanding of the program. I made a distinction of Marriott Rewards Points and Marriott Destination Club points. Marriott Rewards Points are FREE. Those are the points that Marriott gives people to stay at the various hotels when they initially buy timeshares in their system. Rewards points are the ones the Marriott credit card gives you. The Marriott Rewards program is a loyalty program that Marriott can stop at anytime if they choose to do so. That's how they are able to devalue the points because it's at their discretion.

The Destination Club points are the actual timeshare points. These are totally different. These points are the ones you probably paid the $10,000 for. Those points are tied to timeshare rooms. They can't be devalued. At each property each room is a certain amount of points per night or week. Marriott cannot change that. If a week is 2500 points during peak season now, it has to stay 2500 points ten years from now. The only thing that can go up of course is the price for the points.

Funny, I thought folks were talking about a new class action suit and come to find out that folks here are still referring to the old stuff. Well again, catch up and go to TUG and learn more about your timeshare. If you own a timeshare you should be on both Redweek and TUG.