Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Not likely... (by KC):

briana420 wrote:
We may be out of our timeshare for $0. They have a 'give back' policy where you can donate your timeshare to a charity and there are zero transfer fees. It's in the process so I'm slightly skeptical but so far it sounds great. I'll share updates here. If you're wanting out - it's at least worth asking your company about.

I don't know who that unidentified "they" might be, but you are wise to be very skeptical. No legitimate charity anywhere on Planet Earth wants the financial and legal obligations of someone else's timeshare ownership to be "donated" to them. Let's be honest here --- that's not a "donation" at all. It is instead an attempt to transfer an unwanted financial and legal obligation from one entity to another. Think about it for a moment --- why would any legitimate charity consider accepting someone else's unwanted financial burden being dropped onto their lap instead? It simply makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Also, transfer fees, where applicable, are actually identified and imposed by the resort for any transfer of ownership. If the resort involved imposes a transfer fee (which is separate and distinctly different from any other deed related "closing" costs), rest assured that no transfer of ownership will be acknowledged by the resort without the official recording in appropriate County records of a new, valid deed in the name of a real and legitimate new "grantee" first. The resort-imposed transfer fee must then be paid by either the grantor (i.e., current owner) or the new grantee, before the ownership transfer is valid and completed.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but there is really "something rotten in Denmark" in the highly improbable scenario that you have described. Be careful; if this "donation" scheme is willful, knowing, outright fraud you surely don't want to be a willing participant. Forewarned is forearmed.