Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: TRYING TO GET OUT OF MEXICO TIMESHARE (by Cliff&Chris T.):

Everyone makes it seem so easy. Not always that way. I own multiple weeks at Velas Vallarta for numerous years, but when their maintenance fees got sky high and I couldn't afford to travel as frequently, I called them to try and cancel my memberships to no avail, knowing I would lose all of my initial investment. I stopped paying my maintenance fees with them and Velas turned me in to all 3 reporting agencies. It ruined my excellent credit. I called Experian and disputed the charges against Velas, telling them of the lies of the Sales people and their misrepresentation, which was all true. Velas provided Experian with all the original paperwork that I signed, which also stated that no oral representation was valid, only the written contract. Experian did not remove the negative "collection" and it was then three years old and counting. When I sold my home and in the process of purchasing a new home, they did not let me qualify for a new home until I "took care " of my collection activity. It hurt like hell to call Velas, but I did and negotiated a settlement on the maintenance fees that I owed. They would not let me out of the contracts without a huge buyout, so I just pay each year maintenance fees and then rent those weeks out each year for a loss and am back to establishing a good credit record again. It's not always easy. If I didn't need (want) to buy another home, I probably would have waited for the 7 years to expire, the collection to go away, and not have to deal with a bunch of thieves at Velas Vallarta. Everyone has their own case which is best for them. Obviously, we all made the same mistake of buying a timeshare (RTU) in Mexico.