Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Manhattan Club Lawsuit/Not paying fees probably didn't hurt others, or at least not much (by Christine R.):

First, I've always paid my fees, and used my weeks. I had the luxury of having a job where I could ask for time off way in advance and it was honored. Some peoples' jobs are such that they couldn't ask much in advance, also if they had jobs that made them change the time off they requested, then they could lose out. But I was lucky.

As to nonpayers hurting others: I rather doubt it and I'll explain why. If you didn't pay your fees, you didn't get a week, and that left the Manhattan Club free to rent your week out to individuals, or a wholesaler. Since NYC is a pretty high demand place, I suspect they were able to recoup most of the loss.

They may not have gotten the same exact amount as the maintenance fee, but I would guess they got 60-80%. If the resort wasn't in NY, then I could see them having a hard time replacing the lost income or filling the rooms.

To be fair, we'd have to account for what they made in rental against what was lost in maintenance fees. However, I don't trust that the Manhattan Club put most of that money toward the lost maintenance fees and fear they may have pocketed it, but that is their bad.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on this whole process would know, but with the rentals available on Booking.com, Expedia.com, etc., I doubt they let a unit sit empty if they could help it.