Maintenance Fees

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Maintenance Fees (by Mark S.):

I think that there are probably situations where the timeshare companies are taking advantage of the owners (there are crooks everywhere in this world). I guess you have to look at each situation and see if it makes sense. I know it is expensive to maintain these places, especially near the ocean in Florida... The breakdown of the expenses seem reasonable, to me, when you take a close look at them for my timeshare. I also bought it for a real good deal on ebay.

I stayed at a timeshare at Disney (Marriott) a few years ago. I believe that they were asking around 30k for a 2 bedroom unit. When you consider 50 weeks sold, these developers are getting about $1.5 million for each unit. I am guessing that they are not actually worth more than $200-300k, if they were sold as condo's. So I think the fare price as a timeshare week for these units is about 6k. I think these developers are the real bandits... Maybe this is why they are so tough to resell?

I don't think the maintenance fees would as tough of a pill to swallow if you don't pay a fortune for the timeshare. I know that hotel rooms are approximately $100-200 per night and family cant stay comfortably in a hotel room... bargain in my book for a timeshare maintenance fee... add to this the fact that you can trade to other locations or rent it out... great deal...